|Each unit includes a set of "steps" (stages of work on the unit) which are presented as 8 menu items:
1.ňŚÍŮŤÍŗ (Words and phrases)
This is a set of preliminary lexical and grammatical exercises to be done before watching a news presentation. The set is comprised of
- the background information: important notions and terms to be used in the news story are presented in the following 4 ways: in writing (in Russian), in a voice presentation (in Russian), in a translation (into English), and by relevant images;
- key-words and word combinations are given in 3 ways: in writing (in Russian), in a voice presentation (in Russian), and in a translation (into English);
- lexical and grammatical exercises: word-formation of various parts of speech and finding synonyms will help you be better prepared for viewing a TV news presentation.
2. ŌūÓŮžÓÚū (Viewing)
There are two modes of presenting the TV materials available:
3. ”ÔūŗśŪŚŪŤˇ (Excersises)
- "ŗůÚŚŪÚŤųŪŻť" authentic - you will hear the authentic Russian and see the actual TV record.
- "ÁŗžŚšŽŚŪŪŻť" slow-down - the material is presented in the form of a slide-show and the sound-track is recorded by an announcer with a slower tempo.
A special system of assignments is tailored
A special system of data handling makes it possible for you to see on your own if you did the exercises correctly ("green color" stands for the correct answer). Assignments marked with asterisks (***) are to be redone if the final statistics of the test is less than 50%.
- to evaluate students' comprehension of a particular news story,
- to check students' knowledge of grammar,
- to write a dictation,
- to write a summary of the news presented in the TV report (checking option is available only in the study mode)
4. “ŚŮÚ (Test)
A final set of tests is comprised of 3 types of tests:
The automatic grading system will assess how successful you were in taking the test. You will be graded in %. If the total percentage is less than 50%, you will be advised to redo the exercises with asterisks (***).
- Test 1 - forming word-combinations;
- Test 2 - correlating fragments of sentences;
- Test 3 - recreating the text.
5. ¬ŤšŚÓ Ů ÚŚÍŮÚÓž (Viewing with the transcript)
The program suggests that you view the televised story in the authentic and the slow-down modes. The viewing is accompanied by a transcript in Russian in the karaoke mode.
In "ūŚśŤž ÓŠůųŚŪŤˇ" (study mode) this menu item is available only when the previous menu items have been completed.
In "Ů‚ÓŠÓšŪŻť ūŚśŤž" (flexible mode) this menu item is available any time.
6. ŌŚūŚ‚Óš (Translation)
There are three types of translation assignments:
- translation of words;
- translation of word-combinations;
- translation of phrases from the transcript (from English into Russian). Your translation will be automatically emailed to your tutor (this option is available only in the study mode).
7. —‚ˇÁŁ (Communication)
This option presupposes two ways of communication:
- e-mail - by sending an email letter, the student can express his opinion about the topic touched upon in a particular news story; make comments on any unit or / and the course Russia on ther Air as a whole; ask for a consultation from tutors; send suggestions for topics of future news stories.
- forum - in the site forum, the student can exchange opinions about a news story and events touched upon in it with other users of the course Russia on ther Air ; find out what topics of future news stories would be interesting for other users of the course; discuss current news; communicate in Russian with other users of the course.
8. —ŽÓ‚ŗūŁ-ŮÔūŗ‚ÓųŪŤÍ (Reference dictionary (of a unit))
This is a dictionary of the active words and phrases of a particular unit. All key-words and word combinations are given with their English equivalents and accompanied by a grammatical commentary. The reference dictionary can be looked up while doing any exercise at any time.
Copyright© by Andrei Bogomolov, 2007†††
Copyright© by MSU Center for International Education, 2007†††
Design & Framework development 4TEart company, 2007†††
All rights reserved. No part of this product may be reproduced in a retrieval, or transmitted in any form
or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the copywriter